Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Wilkommen! Review # 1: Jules et Jim

Hello, empty abyss of the internet. I'm Kristen, film buff.

Yesterday's movie was Jules et Jim, directed by Francois Truffaut.

The film asks the question, 'How can I get two men to fall disgustingly hard for me?' and provides the answer, as well (quite helpful): be a total psychopath.

Funny how this movie was longer than Truffaut's 400 Blows, but seemed to slip by so quickly. This WWI-era masterpiece is romantic, tragic, funny, and thought-provoking in the Kate Chopin kind of way. So if you like the idea of women struggling against traditional roles, you'll love Jeanne Moreau as Catherine, a femme fatale with a whole lot of je ne sais quoi-- the titular characters, best friends Jules and Jim, are both slavishly in love with her.

This movie is the best movie I’ve seen in months and months. (The last really good movie I saw was Bluebeard, and this one was… gasp! BETTER?!) Truffaut's directing is, of course, splendid in its understated and stylish way. But let's not give him all the credit, nor dole heaps of praise on the simple yet beautiful theme, "Le Tourbillon". Let's lavish deserved credit, instead, on the glorious acting of Oskar Werner. Basically, I have an eternal hard-on for Jules (Werner), the incredibly sexy and yet tragically overlooked sacrificial lamb of the film. As Catherine's oft-cuckolded husband, Jules' motto is, "As long as she doesn't leave me forever, I'll take whatever pain comes my way." And yet with his faraway eyes, you wonder how she doesn't melt into pudding every moment she sees him... But seriously. That man can act. Let's be fair, though-- he got the best part: resigned romantic, smile-through-the-pain kind of empty-souled guy. I am officially in love.

PS: will try being a total psychopath for the next few days, see if droves of men fall in love with me.

Grade: A+

2 comments:

  1. THIS REVIEW RULES

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maximus? a BOY read my post?!! wow, look, already droves of men are falling in love with me! Why don't you "follow" me then, so I'm not my only follower?

    ReplyDelete